Friday, October 1, 2010

FRUGALISTA: Foundation

Foundation is one of the last make up products I need to replenish right away, not only because of the lack of discount, but because I could never really find the perfect one, for the right price.  At work, I used to go in bare faced and apply my makeup there; just because I refused to buy it when I had free access.  Some of my favorites (that I didn't own) were Makeup Forever's HD and Nars' Sheer Glow.  These were 2 products that I loved and even with my discount would never purchase because of price.  Yup, I'm cheap!

My first drugstore foundation adventure was during a trip to Miami in 2008.  A friend of mine commented on how my complexion looked orange (MAC Studio Fix Fluid).  Embarrassed, I went to the closest Rite Aid and went to find Beyonce's L'oréal "true match" liquid foundation.  I found the perfect color and I wore it for a couple of months, but it had a weird lightweight-powdery texture that didn't really absorb into my skin.  It transferred to everything I touched.  If I committed a crime, I'd be guilty before trial because my brown fingerprints were everywhere.  So, I went back to my "Oompa Loompa" MAC and then later to my favorites at work.

On a quest to find my replacement, I went to LHCF and read marvelous reviews on Revlon's Colorstay and then went on Youtube to watch video tutorials and more reviews.  I was sold!  On my next venture to Target, I stayed in the cosmetic aisle for about 30 minutes looking at the different options, colors etc.  They were sold out of most colors, but I bought "Caramel".  I knew it would be too dark for my skin, but I wanted to feel the texture and I could always add it to my kit.  About 2 weeks later, I went to CVS and they had the full collection in stock.  I decided to get "Toast" in normal to oily and this (so far) is the best color for me.  This foundation itself is the best I have used.  The texture is creamy and it has a satin-matte finish.  Sometimes I don't even set it with powder and I still remain shine free; this is a FIRST!  What a relief!  Pictured below are some foundations that I have used in the past and my new favorite.  I still have that MAC Studio Fix Fluid from 2 + years ago; I should probably throw it away.



No comments:

Post a Comment