Saturday, October 23, 2010

Obsessed: Pretty Boy....

Most people who know me, know that I am a bit of a tomboy. My girlfriends double check dress codes to make sure I can get in where ever we go because I'm usually the "sneakerhead" sneaking past the horribly dressed dude at door.  I don't know what it is about me, I just feel more comfortable in flats than heels and I love looking relaxed.  I've always had a thing for androgyny and the older I get, the more I experiment. I find myself constantly wandering over to the men's or boy's sections whenever I shop.  I have no trouble with men either; they usually love it at first and then ask: "Do you ever dress up?"  Yes, I dress up whenever I go somewhere worth the time it takes to get ready.  Most of them don't get to see that side of me, if you know what I mean!  It all came to me the other day when I caught a glimpse of Romeo Must Die.

Not only did I grow up in a time when was cool for girls to wear extremely baggy clothes, but coming of age, Aaliyah was my "go-to" celebrity.  I loved everything about this chick and she made it cool for girls like me to be who they really were.  Now, that I'm in the 25 and over club, I feel the need to embrace my tomboy style even more.  It gives me a sense of youth and keeps her alive in my mind.  Don't get me wrong, I own heels (as did she); but even my 6 inch Louboutins can't make me loose my "contemporary Aaliyah" look. The next time someone asks me about my style or what they perceive to be lack there of, I'll just say, "Blame it on Aaliyah!".

No comments:

Post a Comment