Friday, November 5, 2010

Movies: For Colored Girls

Today I accompanied my Grandmother and cousin for our weekly $5 matinee date.  Of course, my Grandmother wanted to see For Colored Girls, as did I, but not at 10am on a Friday morning and opening day.  Okay, I'm done complaining! 

Although I have never seen the play; I felt like I was watching it on screen.  Overall, it wasn't a smooth transition from the stage to the big screen.  I want to give a special shout-out to Loretta Devine for being "best in show"; she really captured her character and made a seamless transition from the stage.  Some of the actresses seemed like they were on an episode of Def Poetry Jam; just doing way too much!  Nonetheless the monologues were astounding, but it took me a few seconds longer to decipher all of the poetic metaphors, so in my Grandmother's own words "I need to see this shit again!" Shockingly, I didn't pick up on the colors of the rainbow each character represented until the closing credits and then I remembered that they were wearing those colors during the whole movie, lol.







No comments:

Post a Comment